Special People Section - Charles H. Utter of Deadwood, North Dakota fame.
To return to Others Index Page To go to Home Web Page
Charles H. Utter ( born ca. 1832-1842 - died after 1910 )
1. CHARLES H. UTTER was born between 1831 and 1842 in New York. At the moment the names of his parents is not known. He is also known as Charley Utter. He was one of the historical people that was involved with Deadwood, North Dakota. He also been in Colorado, New Mexico, and Columbia / Panama.
Concerning his birth, there is a wide range of dates depending on which record you look at.
1831 - base on age of 49 in the June 1880 Census
1832 - base on age of 56 in the January 1888 Passenger list
1838 - base on age of 32 in the September 1870 Census
1842 - base on age of 68 in the July 1910 Passenger list
1842 - base on age of 70 in the November 1912 Passenger list
His relationship to Stephen Utter is not clear at the moment. Some say that "Steve Utter" was his brother, another says perhaps a cousin.
From the 1870 Census of Georgetown, Clear Creek, Colorado Territory, Enumerated 5th day of Sept 1870, we find the followings, all on the same page:
Lines 4-8, 83/74
Utter Stephen 26 M W
Mule Packer 1000 / - New York
Alma 24 F W Keeping House New York
Agnes 2 F W New York
Harriel* 1 F W Colorado
* probably because the enumerator was lazy he didn't "dash the t" the name "Harriel" is probably actually "Harriet"
Lines 24-25, 89/79
Utter Charles 32 M W
7000/7000 New York
Matilda 19 F W Keeping House Wisconsin
(Matilda's Father of foreign birth and Mother of foreign birth)
Before the listing of Charles Utter, there was the listing of the family of William Bement age 54, he was a Mining Agent. It is possible that Charles Utter had some business dealings with him.
In the 1880 Census of Ruby City, Gunnison, Colorado, enumerated on Ninth day of June 1880, we find the following:
Utter Charles H
W M 49 (married) Miner New
Davis D W W M 59 (married) Miner Wales Wales Wales
Brown David W M 40 (single) Butcher Scotland Scotland Scotland
Tallman George W W M 27 (single) Miner Pennsylvania PA PA
Embick Lambert W M 27 (single) Miner Illinois PA MS
Bates Louis R W M 21 (single) Miner Massachusetts Mass Mass
Sometime before 1888, Charles H. Utter went to Columbia (present day Panama) and established himself there. He became a Doctor and a Druggist.
There is a Report and List of Passengers taken on board the British ship "Costa Rican" of Liverpool. The ship with Robert Watson as Master, burthen 2,133 tons, was bound from the Port of Colon for New Orleans, Louisiana. Among the passengers was:
Charles H. Utter, age 56, Male, Doctor, he was staying at the Cabin of the ship. The ship arrived at New Orleans on January 4, 1888.
Also another list, of passengers taken on board the "S.S. Finance" sailing from Colon, Panama, departed May 17, 1905 and arriving at the Port of New York. Among the passengers was:
Chas H. Utter
Another list, of passengers taken on board the ship "S.S. Turrialba" sailing from Colon, Panama, departed July 21, 1910 and arriving at New Orleans on July 26, 1910. Among the passengers was:
Charles H. Utter, age 68, Male, Married, a Druggist
Another list, of passengers taken on board the ship "S.S. Pennsylvania" sailing from Ancon, Canal Zone, departed November 19th 1912 and arriving at San Pedro, California on January 2, 1913. Among the passengers was:
Chas. H. Utter, age 70, Male, Married, a citizen of the United States
So it is apparent that he stayed in Columbia / Panama for years. Perhaps in Colon itself.
1.1870 Census of Colorado Territory, Clear Creek, Georgetown, Image No. 8, Ancestry.com. The households of Stephen Utter and Charles Utter, Lines 4-8 and Lines 24-25. December 28, 2006 Thursday 2:00 PM. 2. 1880 Census of Colorado, Gunnison, Ruby City, District 57, Image No. 10, Ancestry.com. The household of Charles H. Utter, Lines 37-42. Original Page No. 10. December 29, 2006 Friday 7:49 PM.
3. 1888 Passenger List, Charles H. Utter. New Orleans Passenger Lists. The ship Costa Rican for January 1888. Ancestry.com, Original Source - the National Archives' Series Number: M259_71. January 1, 2007 Monday 4:41 PM.
4. 1905 Passenger List, Chas H. Utter. New York Passenger Lists. The ship S.S. Finance for May 1905. Ancestry.com, Original Source - the Year: 1905: Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_578. January 1, 2007 Monday 7:01 PM.
5. 1910 Passenger List, Charles H. Utter. New Orleans Passenger Lists. The ship S.S. Turrialba for July 1910. Ancestry.com, Original Source - the National Archives' Series Number: T905_31. January 1, 2007 Monday 4:53 PM.
5. 1912 Passenger List, Chas H Utter. California Passenger and Crew Lists. The ship S.S. Pennsylvania for November 1912. Ancestry.com, January 1, 2007 Monday 6:46 PM.
Last updated January 1, 2007 Monday 8:05 PM
Researched and Compiled by William Wallworth
PO Box 24768 San Jose, CA 95154-4768 USA
© 2005 - 2006 Deadfamilies.com All rights reserved