To return to Wallworth Index Page To go to Home Web Page
Esther Wallworth ( 1787 - 1845 )
59. ESTHER WALLWORTH (of Thomas7 , of Thomas6 , of Thomas5 , of John4 , of Thomas3 , of Thomas2 , of Thomas1 ) was born January 28, 1787 at Cuddington, Weaverham parish, Cheshire, England and was christened March 11, 1787 at Weaverham church.
Father: Thomas Wallworth (No.36)
Mother: Esther Pickering
Esther Wallworth married JOHN CARTWRIGHT on May 27, 1819 at Weaverham church. They were married by Banns. John Cartwright was born ca. 1790 in Cranage, Cheshire.
John and Esther Cartwright lived in Cuddington. John Cartwright was a Miller & Farmer.
The following extract is from a book, Cuddington & Sandiway 2000, by R. M. Bevan:
"The third water mill on Cuddington Brook was the so-called Paper Mill, alongside Watermill Farm in Waste Lane. Small scale, local paper-making was common in most counties until the mid-19th century .... the Cartwright family were also associated with the trade. The Paper Mill later became a sawmill under the Cartwrights ..."
In the 1841 Census of Cuddington, we find:
John Cartwright 50 M
Esther do 50 F Y
Mary do 14 F Y
Harriet do 12 F Y
Emily do 8 F Y
William Wallworth 60 M Ind Y
George Bostock 20 M M. S. Y
Peter Clark 20 M M. S Y
Thomas Pickering 13 M M S Y
Sarah Spruce 15 F F. S Y
Eliza Lewis 45 F Y
William Wallace 50 M Book Seller S
George do 35 M Farmer S
Esther Cartwright died March 11, 1845 at Cuddington.
According to the death certificate, Esther Cartwright died the Eleventh of March 1845 at Cuddington, age 58 years, wife of John Cartwright, Miller, and the cause of death was Hydrothorax. The Informant was John Cartwright.
The following extract is from a book, Cuddington & Sandiway 2000, by R. M. Bevan:
"Cuddington Methodist Chuch, in Mill Lane, was built in 1849 on a plot of land donated by the miller, John Cartwright"
In 1851, John Cartwright and his daughter, Emily, were in Manchester, Lancashire for a while. Johns other daughter, Mary Gregory, was in Cuddington at the farm and mill. John Cartwright had a 24 Acres farm.
From the 1851 census of Ancoats, Manchester, Lancashire, we find:
At 91 Canal St.
Thomas Gibbons Head Widower 43 M
Panter Stretford, Lancashire
Elen Daur U 22 F Servant Manchester
Eliza Do U 16 F Do Do
Mary Ann Do U 10 F Scholar Stretford, Lancashire
John Cartwright Uncle Widower 61 M Miller Crannage Chester
Emily Cousin U 18 F Servant Cudington Chester
John Cartwright was present at the death of Nancy Wallworth when she died July 19, 1859 at Cuddington.
From the 1861 Census of Cuddington, we find:
John Cartwright Head
widr 71 M Miller
John C. Gregory Grandson 13 M Scholar Northwich Cheshire
John Holland Son in Law mar 28 M Cattle Dealer Castle Northwich
Emmly Do Wife mar 28 F Wife Cuddington Cheshire
Mary Dau 4 F Cuddington Cheshire
Fredrick Son 2 M Cuddington Cheshire
Mary Williams Ser un 22 F House Servant Tryddgn Flintshire
James Maddock Ser un 25 M Carter Cuddington Cheshire
William Roberts Servant un 40 M Drover In Wales
From the 1871 Census of Cuddington, we find:At Cuddington dale
John Holland Head
Emily Do Wife 38 F Do Cuddington
Esther Do Daur 16 F Do Do
Mary Do Daur 14 F Do Do
Frederick Do Son 12 M Scholar Do Do
Arthur Do Son 7 M Scholar Do Do
John Cartwright Father in Law 81 M Retired Timber Merchant Do Cranage
Henry Holland Brother 16 M Do Cuddington
Richard Johnson Servant 41 M Farm Servant Do Northwich
James Shaw Servant 35 M Farm Servant Do Hartford
John Cartwright died on May 5, 1871 at Cuddington.
According to the death certificate, John Cartwright died the Fifth May 1871 at Cuddington, age 81 years, Formerly a Corn Miller and Timber Merchant, and the cause of death was Bronchitis 3 weeks. The informant was John Cartwright Gregory.
John Cartwright Gregory was John Cartwrights grandson.
John Cartwright left a Will that was dated April 17, 1871 and proved January 10, 1872. The following are some extracts:
"This is the last Will and Testament of me John Cartwright of Cuddington ... Miller...."
" ...I give devise and bequeath All my real and personal estate .... unto George Slater of Sculshaw Lodge Allostock ... Gentleman ...and Robert Lewis of Arley .... Joiner"
"...my daughter Emily the Wife of John Holland of Cuddington .... Farmer and Cattle dealer"
"my grandson John Cartwright Gregory"
"as to the Chapel and premises belonging to me situate at Cuddington ..... permit and suffer the same to be used for public worship by the body of the Worshippers connected with the United Methodist Free Churches as long as they shall pay to the trustees ... one shilling per annum ..."
" ....witnesses - Thos. Cupper Auctioneer Northwich and Henry Daintith Cuddington"
"Proved at Chester the 10th day of January 1872 by the oaths of George Slater and Robert Lewis the Executors to whom administration was granted....... "
"The Testator John Cartwright was late of Cuddington .....Miller ...and died on the 6th day of May 1871 at Cuddington ..."
At the cemetery in Weaverham St. Mary the Virgin church, is a large stone, that has the following family members inscribed on it. Esther Cartwright is the second person in the inscriptions and John Cartwright is at the bottom.
TO THE MEMORY OF
William Pickering Wallworth,
of Cuddington, who died Jany. 13th.
1845, aged 61 Years.
Also Esther, Wife
of John Cartwright,
of Cuddington, who died
March 11th 1845,
aged 58 Years.
Also Harriet, their Daughter
who died November 28th. 1846,
aged 18 Years.
Also Mary, their Daughter Wife of
James Gregory, who died
Septr. 14th. 1851, aged 25 Years.
Also Emily Gregory, their Daughter
who died August 24th. 1851,
aged 1 Year and 9 Months.
Also Nancy, Wife of the late John
Wallworth, of Cuddington, who died
July 19th. 1859, aged 73 Years.
Also John Cartwright, of Cuddington
who died May 5th. 1871,
aged 81 Years.
Information from a photograph from Norma Wallworth of Stockport, England who visited the cemetery in Weaverham. Norma also found an older stone with part of the above information on it and it was laid flat as part of the porch area of the church and there was a foot scraper next to it. She says that a larger stone was made to add the information on Nancy Wallworth and John Cartwright when they died.
CHILDREN OF JOHN AND ESTHER (WALLWORTH) CARTWRIGHT
97. + MARY CARTWRIGHT was born ca 1826 in Cuddington, Weaverham, Cheshire. Mary Cartwright married James Gregory.
98. HARRIET CARTWRIGHT was born ca 1828 probably in Cuddington, Weaverham, Cheshire.
In 1841, Harriet, age 12, was living with her parents in Cuddington. Harriet died at the age of 18 years on November 28, 1846 and is buried in the St. Mary the Virgin church cemetery in Weaverham. (See above for the cemetery inscription)
99. + EMILY CARTWRIGHT was born ca 1832 in Cuddington, Weaverham, Cheshire. Emily Cartwright married John Holland.
1. Bishops transcripts for the church in Weaverham, Cheshire, England. FHL (G.S.) Film 1736164. Wallworth baptisms, marriages, burials for 1611 to 1823 extracted July 9, 1996.
2. Bishops transcripts for the church in Weaverham, Cheshire, England. Wallworth baptisms & burials 1800 to 1840 and marriages 1800 to 1837 extracted for me by Mr. William Eyre in England, letter dated Dec. 8, 1987.
3. The Mills in Cuddington and the Cartwrights. Page 15 of the Book, Cuddington And Sandiway 2000, by R. M. Bevan. ISBN 0-949001-16-3. Copy of the page from Norma Wallworth of Stockport, England. Received March 27, 2006 Monday.
4. 1841 Census of Cuddington, Weaverham, Cheshire, England. Household of John Cartwright. Page 6 (original page 6) reference PRO HO 107/98/18 April 22, 2006 Saturday 2:37 PM
5. 1845 Death Certificate of Esther Cartwright. Certified Copy of an Entry of Death. From Norma Wallworth of Stockport, England. Recieved March 27, 2006 Monday.
6. 1849 Cuddington Methodist Church built on John Cartwrights land. Pages 16-17 of the Book, Cuddington And Sandiway 2000, by R. M. Bevan. ISBN 0-949001-16-3. Copy of the pages from Norma Wallworth of Stockport, England. Received March 27, 2006 Monday.
7. 1851 Census of England, Lancashire, Manchester, Ancoats, District 1dd, Image 21, No. of Schedule 72, Household of Thomas Gibbons, Ancestry.com, Dec. 8, 2005 Thursday, 8:38 PM.
8. 1859 Death Certificate of Nancy Wallworth. Certified Copy of an Entry of Death. From Norma Wallworth of Stockport, England. Recieved March 27, 2006 Monday.
9. 1861 Census of England, Cheshire, Cuddington, District 5, Image 10, No. of Schedule 47, Household of John Cartwright, Ancestry.com, December 8, 2005 Thursday 8:02 PM.
10. 1871 Census of England, Cheshire, Cuddington, District 5, Image 11, No. of Schedule 55, John Cartwright in household of John Holland, Ancestry.com, December 11, 2005 Sunday 1:25 PM.
11. 1871 Death Certificate of John Cartwright. Certified Copy of an Entry of Death. From Norma Wallworth of Stockport, England. Recieved March 27, 2006 Monday.
12. 1872 Will of John Cartwright. Copy of the document from Norma Wallworth of Stockport, England. Recieved March 27, 2006 Monday.
13. Index to the Cemetery Inscriptions for Weaverham St. Mary the Virgin Burial Ground, Cheshire, England. For Cartwright family members. December 2005.
14. Photograph of the gravestone that has the Cartwright family members on it, in Weaverham, St. Mary the Virgin cemetery. From Norma Wallworth of Stockport, England. Received March 27, 2006 Monday.
Last updated April 25, 2006 Tuesday
Researched and Compiled by William Wallworth
With contributions from:
1. Mrs. Norma Wallworth of Stockport, England March 27, 2006
PO Box 24768 San Jose, CA 95154-4768 USA
© 2005 - 2006 Deadfamilies.com All rights reserved