To return to Page family Index Page To go to Home Web Page
Samuel Page ( 1769 - 1844 )
1. SAMUEL PAGE was born in ca. 1769 in Norfolk, England. It is not known at this moment where he was born or who was his parents. The birth year is base on his age at death from the death certificate.
Father: (possible) William Page
Note: it is possible that Samuel Page was a son of the William Page who was the father of Elizabeth Page who was christioned in 1773 and of Robert Page who was buried in 1778 both event taken place at Stow Bardolph.
Samuel Page did name his first son William.
The earliest mentioning that we have at this point of Samuel Page was when he was living in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk, England, he was there at the time of his marriage perhaps earlier.
The reason for the belief that there was 2 wives is because the widow Mary Page of Wimbotsham was age 83 in the 1871 census, that would put her born ca. 1788, she would be only 7 years old at the time of the 1795 marriage. (In the death indexes, there is a death certificate for a Mary Page in the Downham district for 1874, she was 87 which would put her born 1787).
Samuel Page married 1st MARY ASHLEY on October 5, 1795 in the church at Stow Bardolph.
Mary Ashley was born in Stow Bardolph and christened February 20, 1774 in the church at Stow Bardolph. She was a daughter of Thomas and Martha Ashley.
The entry of marriage of Samuel Page and Mary Ashley from the Stow Bardolph Archdeacon's transcript mentioned the following:
Samuel Page of this Parish single Man and Mary Ashley of this Parish single Woman were Married in this Church by Banns this 5th day of October in the year One Thousand seven Hundred and ninety five by me Philip Bell - Vicar
This Marriage was Solemnized between us -- X The mark of Samuel Page - Mary Ashly
In the Presence of - X Moses Wilson his mark - Stephen Davey
Samuel Page married 2nd MARY --- ? ---.
This second Mary Page was born ca 1787-1788. The place of her birth is confusing. In the 1851 census it says she was born in Snuttington, Suffolk. In the 1861 census it says Snetterton, Norfolk, and then in the 1871 census it says Attleboro, Norfolk.
It would appear that Samuel Page and his family lived in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk from the time of the marriage in 1795 to about after 1811 base on the birthplace of the earlier children. Then by 1815 the family was living in Wimbotsham, Norfolk where the younger children were born.
From the 1841 census of Wimbotsham, we have the following:
Mary Do 50 F N
Mary Do 24 F Y
Sarah Jarrod 8 F Y
Thomas Wilson 18 M M. S. Y
Snasdell Syddell 18 M M. S. Y
Samuel Page died on May 29, 1844 at the age of 75 years at Wimbotsham. The death certificate list the cause of death as "Paralysis". The informant was C. Dye who was in attendance. Samuel Page was listed as a Farmer.
From the 1851 census of Wimbotsham, we find the following:
Head Widow 61 F
Formerly Farmer's Wife Suffolk Snuttington
Mary Ann Page Niece M 33 F Dressmaker Norfolk Crimplesham
From the 1861 census of Wimbotsham, we find the following:
Mary Page Head
Wid 73 F Retired farmer's Widow Norfolk Snetterton
Hannah Goole Sister Mar 59 F Gardener's Wife do Hockwold Wilton
From the 1871 census of Wimbotsham, we find the following:
83 F Retired farmers Wife Norfolk Attleboro
Mary Ann Bradford Niece W 53 F Norfolk Crimplesham
From the Civil Registration Indexes of England and Wales, there is one entry of interest, Mary Page, age 87 death in December Quarter of 1874 in the Downham District. Downham district includes Wimbotsham so it is most likely the same Mary Page. But the certificate must be ordered to verify.
CHILDREN OF SAMUEL PAGE:
Note: It is not certain which of the middle to the younger children belongs to the 1st wife and to the 2nd wife until we find the burial date of the 1st wife and the marriage date of the second wife.
2. WILLIAM PAGE was born in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk and christened November 23, 1796 in the church at Stow Bardolph.
3. MARTHA PAGE was born in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk and was christened September 21, 1798 in the church at Stow Bardolph.
Martha Page died in Stow Bardolph and was buried on November 2, 1798 at the church in Stow Bardolph.
4. MARTHA PAGE was born in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk and was christened October 18, 1799 in the church at Stow Bardolph.
5. SAMUEL PAGE was born in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk and was christened September [ ] 1802 in the church at Stow Bardolph.
Samuel Page died in Stow Bardolph and was buried on August 26, 1810 at the church in Stow Bardolph.
6. + MARY PAGE born ca. 1804 or 1806 in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk, England. Mary Page married Robert Jarrod.
7. a daughter -- information unknown.
8. + ELIZABETH PAGE born ca. 1811 in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk, England. Elizabeth Page married James Butterick.
9. + SAMUEL PAGE born 1815. Samuel Page married 1st. Mary Ann Scott and 2nd. -----.
10. + SUSANNAH PAGE born 1819 in Wimbotsham, Norfolk, England. Susannah Page married Jasper Lyon Merry West.
Sources:1. Archdeacon's Transcripts for Stow Bardolph, Norfolk, England. FHL British Film 1526809 Item 4. Christenings: 1773 Elizabeth Page, 1796 William Page, 1798 Martha Page, 1799 Martha Page, 1802 Samuel Page. Marriages: 1795 Samuel Page and Mary Ashley. Burials: 1778 Robert Page, 1798 Martha Page, 1810 Samuel Page. Searched December 5, 2006 Tuesday beginning 10:45 AM. 2. 1841 Census of Wimbotsham, Norfolk, England. District 13, Household of Saml Page. Public Record Office reference HO 107/755/16 Original Page Nos. 2 & 3, Stamped Page No. 8 (A & B). April 22, 2006 Saturday.
3. 1844 Death Certificate of Samuel Page. Registration District: Downham No. 394. From the General Register Office, Southport, Merseyside, England. From October 8, 2004 Friday.
4. 1851 Census of Wimbotsham, Norfolk, England. District 14, No. of Schedule 2, Household of Mary Page. Public Record Office reference HO 107/1830 Original Page No. 1, Stamped Page No. 219 (B). November 2, 2006 Thursday 1:02 PM.
5. 1861 Census of Wimbotsham, Norfolk, England. District 9f, No. of Schedule 1, Household of Mary Page. Public Record Office reference R.G. 9 1258 Original Page No. 22. May 2, 2005 Monday 4:00 PM.
6. 1871 Census of Wimbotsham, Norfolk, England. District 10, No. of Schedule 55, Household of Mary Page. Public Record Office reference R.G. 10/1866 Original Page No. 10. April 26, 2005 Tuesday 4:00 PM.7. Civil Registration Index of England and Wales, Death of Mary Page, age 87, Quarter December, Year 1874, District Downham, Volume 4b, Page 255. Searched November 6, 2005.
Last updated December 10, 2006 Sunday 8:25 PM
Researched and Compiled by William Wallworth
PO Box 24768 San Jose, CA 95154-4768 USA
© 2005 - 2006 Deadfamilies.com All rights reserved